Recognising the success of your Online Learners


October/ November is prize giving time and time to reflect on my online students and their NCEA successes.


At my school any online student who has achieved all of  their course is acknowledged at prize giving with an "Achievement in Online Learning" award. Those who achieve mostly at Excellence level  receive an "Achievement with Excellence in Online Learning" award. For 2017 that was 25 students from a total of 39.

This year four of my students got top in their subject- both in their online class and at our school- very exciting when you consider that they do have to overcome the obstacles of working at a distance and my school has a role of 1200.

Some of my students missed one or two internals for a variety of reasons and there were two who haven't to date achieved anything- although they hold out hope for the externals. Despite my best efforts some students still fail to complete their courses, or they have personal issues that affect their learning, or they opt out but it doesn't become apparent until late in the year.

Every year I reflect on my practice and how I can improve in order to support those struggling students more effectively. Being part of the Deeper Support group has helped with this process. It has been wonderful to share ideas and develop strategies with a group of very motivated eDeans.

I will share another post with the findings from our group research  but suffice to say that relationships are key to online learning in the same way that they are in the classroom.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The end of term one

So what did the students think about their online learning experience?

eDeans make a difference to learning outcomes